Recommended for: Breakfast
Serves: 1 female
- 1 cup Bulgarian yoghurt
- Half a cup unsweetened applesauce or poached and pureed apple.
- SMART CARBS
- The pureed apple/ unsweetened applesauce
- HEALTHY FAT:
- Tbsp Slivered, toasted almonds
- HERBS, SPICES, AND EXTRAS:
- 2 tsp honey or sweetener of choice
- Pinch cinnamon
- Mixing bowl
- If you choose to use fresh, pureed apple: Peel, core, and slice a small granny smith apple. Put the slices in a small pot with a little water and simmer until soft. Drain and blend till smooth. If using canned applesauce, just measure out half a cup.
- Spread a Tbsp of flaked almonds on an oven dish and pop under the grill for a minute or so, till just toasted golden.
- Add your sweetener of choice to the yoghurt and mix well.
- Alternate layers of applesauce and yoghurt in a glass or small bowl. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and toasted almonds.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a simple recipe with a wonderful flavour combination, but it is so very worthwhile to make your own Granny smith apple puree. It is fresher and the tangy flavours work so well with the slightly sweetened yoghurt. Homemade apple puree can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days. OR you can store the puree in ice trays in the freezer, covered, for up to 6 months. Well worth doing in preparation for many recipes.