Recommended for: Lunch or dinner
- 1 Topside roast (beef)
- 3 carrots
- 2 leeks
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- SMART CARBS:
- This would be good served with baby new potatoes (3 small per person)
- HEALTHY FAT:
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- HERBS, SPICES, AND EXTRAS:
- Rosemary (dried or fresh (better fresh)
- 2 or 3 Sage leaves (or a pinch dried sage)
- Sprig Thyme(or a pinch dried thyme)
- Handful destalked Parsley (or a tsp dried parsley)
- Tsp Salt
- Pinch Pepper
- Half tsp Garlic salt (optional)
- Foil or a roasting pan with a lid
- Chopping board
- Chopping knife
- Mezzaluna (if you have one)
- Vegetable peeler
- Preheat the oven to 180’C
- Prepare your piece of meat by trimming off any unsightly bits of fat.
- Massage your meat with a Tbsp of the olive oil.
- Finely chop the herbs and mix with salt, pepper and garlic/garlic salt.
- Rub the herb mix all over the meat, adding a little extra oil if needed. Set aside.
- Peel your carrots, garlic cloves and onions, wash your leeks. Wash baby potatoes.
- Chop the carrots, leeks and onions in big chunks. Cut each garlic clove in half.
- Put the last of the olive oil over the veg and toss to coat.
- Lay the vegetable mix (called mirepoix) on the bottom of the roasting pan in a pile.
- Nestle the beef on top so that as the vegetables cook they bring moisture and subtle flavour up into the roast.
- Arrange the new potatoes around the beef and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Cover with foil or a roasting dish lid and pop into the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the lid or foil and roast uncovered.
- Allow the meat to rest for 5 to 10 minutes after removing from the oven.
- Slice as thinly as you can.
- Serve onto a platter with the vegetables.