Recommended for: Slightly decadent treat (not everyday because this recipe is quite high in fat)
Serves: Makes 6 muffins
- 1 cup low fat bulgarian yoghurt
- Half a portion vanilla whey
- 4 Tbsp low fat cottage cheese
- The juice and rind of 1 lemon
- Half a cup of applesauce (bought or prepared by steaming and blending apples)
- SMART CARBS
- 1 cup oat flour (just blend oats finely)
- 1 cup brown or wholewheat flour
- HEALTHY FAT:
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- HERBS, SPICES AND EXTRAS:
- Half tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup almond milk
- Sweetener of choice (xylitol, canderel), to taste
- Tbsp poppy seeds
- Fine grater
- Measuring spoons
- Muffin tins
- Paper cupcake holders
- Spray and cook
- Heat oven to 180’C and spray and cook a muffin tin, lining the tins with cupcake wrappers. (also sprayed with spray and cook)
- In a cup mix together the ground flax seeds and chia seeds with a little warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes to make a ‘flax egg’.
- In a bowl, combine the ‘flax egg’, lemon zest, lemon juice, coconut oil, sweetener and almond/ soy milk.
- Stir in the oat flour, wholewheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and a Tbsp poppy seeds
- Spoon into the cupcake wrappers and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Test readiness by inserting a toothpick into the center of one of the cupcakes. If it comes out clean they are cooked, if it comes out wet they need longer in the oven.
- Set aside on a wire rack to cool.
- In the meantime, mix the whey and the cottage cheese until smooth for the topping.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, spread the topping on top.
- Garnish the cupcakes with a little lemon rind or a few more poppy seeds and serve with an edible flower for presentation.
Point of interest: These cuppies are a healthier treat than sugary cupcakes and they are full of good fats (especially for hormone balancing). They do not come out light and fluffy, in fact they are a bit more like little muffins with a ‘cream cheese’ frosting.
Enjoy occasionally. ?