- Recommended for: Lunch or supper
- Serves: 2 women or 1 man (see full portion control guide here).
- Quality Protein
- 250g chicken livers
- Half red onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 cups mixed lettuce of choice
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Garlic chives (finely chopped for garnish)
- 2 small potent green chillies
- Smart Carbs
- 1 cup of cubed butternut
- 1 Tblsp tapioca flour/ cornflour
- Healthy Fats
- Tblsp coconut oil
- Tsp olive oil
- HERBS, SPICES AND EXTRAS
- tsp cayenne pepper
- Tsp salt
- Tsp garlic powder
- Pinch white pepper
- Pinch turmeric
- Juice from a quarter orange
- Half a cup frozen/fresh raspberries (mashed) OR natural and unsweetened raspberry jam.
- Chopping board
- Chopping knife
- Bowls for mixing
- Frying pan
- Roasting Pan
- Baby skillet or pottery dish
- Place the onion rings in a bowl of cold fridge water to soak.
- Preheat oven to 180’C
- Rub the small butternut cubes (1cm) in a little of the coconut oil and sprinkle all over with a pinch of the cayenne and a pinch of turmeric. Add salt to taste.
- Roast butternut for about 20 minutes.
- Trim the chicken livers to remove stringy or discoloured bits. Cut into even bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the tapioca flour/cornflour with the cayenne pepper, salt, garlic powder, hot curry, salt and pepper.
- Dust the chicken livers with the seasoned flour mix and toss around to coat.
- Break up the salad leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes.
- Drain the water off the red onions.
- Remove the seeds from the two chillies and chop the chillies extremely finely. (if you leave some seeds in it will be killer hot!).
- Heat the remaining coconut oil in the frying pan and fry the chilli to release the oils, add the chicken livers and fry for about a minute on each side, then just cook, tossing regularly until they are cooked through and slightly browned on the outside.
- Mix together the orange juice and the mashed raspberries. Add half the mixture to the pan with the livers and simmer briefly to thicken and blend flavours.
- Remove the butternut cubes from the oven if they are cooked through and browned.
- Plate the salad leaves.
- Arrange the quartered cherry tomatoes and cubed butternut over the leaves.
- Toss some crunchy red onion rings on top.
- Mix the remaining raspberry, orange juice mixture in a little salad dressing dish with the tsp olive oil, season to taste. Set alongside the salad.
- Arrange the chilli fried chicken livers over the salad OR in a little pottery/ cast iron skillet and drizzle any remaining juices over the top.
- Garnish with finely chopped garlic chives.
Interesting fact: Chillies fight inflammation, clear congestion, boost immunity and they are good for the cardiovascular system. They are also loaded with vitamin C. Great for winter!
Join the VIP Wait List - don't miss out!
We're taking on a fresh wave of clients for the Sleekgeek Coaching Program on the 26th of July 2019.
If you’re tired of the exhausting “all-or-nothing” dieting approach, then listen up!
We want to teach you proven sustainable strategies to help you build healthy habits into your life, one day at a time, so that they last a lifetime!
NOTE: Spots are limited and enrollment will only re-open again in October!