Time: 40 mins
- 2 Eggplants (large, trimmed, sliced lengthwise 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick)
- 30ml Avocado Oil (divided)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- 680g Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 370g Tomato Sauce
- 3g Italian Seasoning
- 370g Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 170g Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (205ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush each of the eggplant slices with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place them on the baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the ground beef for 10 minutes or until cooked through, breaking it up as it browns. Drain any excess liquid and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Simmer for five minutes or until warmed through. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the ricotta and egg together. In a glass baking dish, arrange the eggplant slices in an even layer. Spread the
- meat mixture evenly over top, followed by the ricotta mixture. Repeat the layers until all ingredients are used up.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly overtop and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. Let cool slightly and enjoy!
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days. Freeze for up to three months.
A 9- x 13-inch baking dish was used to make eight servings.
Use vegan cheese instead.
Add fresh basil and parmesan. Use marinara instead of tomato sauce.
No Ground Beef
Use ground chicken, turkey, or lentils instead.
Amount per serving
Calories – 358
Fat – 22g
Carbs – 14g
Fiber – 5g
Sugar – 7g
Protein – 27g