MAKE ONE OR THE OTHER, OR COMBINE THE TWO.
BLACK BEAN GINGERBREAD COOKIES:
We all want to enjoy the festivities without ruining our health completely. With this in mind, I have put together a few options for desserts made with healthier ingredients. Enjoy in moderation. (natural sugar content is high) These are great to take along with you when you are asked to bring a pud for a braai, or a snack for a picnic.
BEST FOR: CHRISTMAS AND HOLIDAYS!
- 1.5 cups cooked/canned black beans, drained
- 0.5 cup finely ground oats/ oat flour
- 0.25 cup melted coconut oil
- 0.5 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch salt
- tsp vanilla essence or powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 0.5 tsp baking soda (bicarb)
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Baking pan
- Baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 180’C and line a 22cm baking dish with baking paper.
- Mix your beans,flour, oil, coconut sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, vanilla, honey and vinegar in a bowl and blend until smooth with a stick blender or in a mixer.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and pop it in the oven to bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Cut into bars or shapes that you would like
- Serve plain if you like.. or mix 4 Tbsp smooth cottage cheese with a tsp honey and a tsp coconut flour/tapioca flour and spread on the cookies, then sprinkle with dessicated coconut.
FESTIVE FRUIT SALAD WITH HONEY YOGHURT:
MAKES: 6-8 servings
- 1 medium punnet strawberries, cleaned and halved/quartered.
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cut into neat, bitesize portions.
- 4 kiwi fruit, peeled, then halved lengthways, then sliced
- 1 bunch red / black grapes, washed and halved
- 1 bunch green grapes, washed and halved
- 1 small punnet blueberries, washed.
- Half a pear.
- 1 large tub Greek yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Small serving bowl
- Serving platter
- Prepare a nice, flat serving platter.
- Make sure the fruit is clean and neatly cut up.
- Arrange as you like on the platter, I made a big peacock just for fun.
- Mix the Greek yoghurt with a tsp cinnamon and a Tbsp pure honey. You could opt for a sweetener here instead if you prefer.
- Drizzle the remaining Tbsp honey over the yoghurt.
- Serve both the fruit platter and the yoghurt chilled.