Have you been struggling with your sleep more than normal during lockdown?
I know I have and I’ve also noticed many of my clients and friends have been too.
It might be the anxiety, or the uncertainty, or the frustration, or even just an overload of news and social media.
Whatever it might be, let’s not give up hope.
I want to take you through a quick exercise:
We can’t always control how quickly we fall asleep or how well we sleep, right?
But we can control what time we get into bed at and how consistent we are with that.
Even if we don’t fall asleep immediately, the first step to falling asleep at a decent time is getting into bed at a decent time.
How might this apply to other areas of our lives too?
Some thoughts off the top of my head:
- We can’t directly control whether we lose fat or not. But we can control what fat-loss behaviours we do consistently. Or what weight-gain behaviours we avoid consistently.
- We can’t directly control our finances (unexpected expenses happen). But we can control whether we have a well-thought-out budget and how closely we try to stick to it.
- We can’t directly control how others feel about us. But we can control the positive actions that we take to build relationships and be a likeable person.
- We can’t directly control how fit we are. But we can control how consistently we show up and exercise.
- We can’t directly control what work and lifestyle stress we experience. But we can control what recovery and de-stressing activities we do on a daily / weekly / monthly / yearly basis.
There’s always SOMETHING that we can control.
Even in the most uncontrollable situation ever, we can still control our response to that situation.
You aren’t powerless. Take back control.