Wow, where do I even start?
Let’s start at the beginning. I have always struggled with my weight and because I am a shy introvert. People saw this as a “weak” spot.
From primary school, through high school and even varsity, I was teased and shamed to a point where all would do is turn to food and cover EVERYTHING up. I never wanted to take my shirt off, even on holiday where I knew no one.
It got to a point where I never wanted to leave the house and then one day I met a great gent who was opening a gym in my area. He was a professional football player and decided to help me on my journey to be more confident and help bring me out my shell. He took me in and helped me develop myself. 4-5 years passed and the way I started to see myself was changing!
I started to set small attainable goals that I knew I would be able to achieve.
Once I did this, I made them a little bigger and bigger. This was going exceptionally well till I hit a plateau. This is where I finally understood that eating the correct foods and taking the right supplementation was needed.
I started doing meal prep with my mother and girlfriend which consisted on about 3 hours of our Sunday, cooking and weighing the meals in the correct portions.
Once I started doing this, the results started to speed up. Then, BOOM, another wall. I was not getting the extra results I wanted, and I wanted to give up.
The Sleekgeek Facebook Group showed me that we all have ups and downs, but we have to keep our heads up and doing it for ourselves because no one else will do it for us.
Once you decide this is what you want, your mind will go from, “ag, whats a burger or 3, what’s a chocolate or a slab, if I’m eating this it won’t matter” to “if I wanted a burger, I can have it, BUT do I really wanted it or need it?”
These are the decisions that define us and once we can do this, we can have and develop the lifestyle we want. We all have different goals. I want to be fitter, I want to be stronger, I want to look good naked… but these are our own goals, and no one should ever have a say in this.
Be Your Own Hero
Like I say, we are doing this for us and no one else. The only person in control of your life is you and you alone. Never compare yourself to anyone, never wish for what that have, just create your own happiness.
I like to live by a little saying of “Blood and sweat is given but respect is earned”. This is not an easy journey to do but the results are really amazing and if I can do it, anyone can!!
Here are my tips and tricks that have helped me:
- Stay hydrated with water. Sometimes when you are hungry, try water in case you are just thirsty.
- If you are hungry, EAT! Do not starve yourself. Small healthy meals go a long way.
- You can go out and enjoy life! This is not a prison sentence. If you are out and you want a burger with mates, have one, just remove the bun and eat slowly.
- Get your vitamins in! These helps when you are tired and feeling sick.
- We all have off/bad days at the gym and do not want to go. Just get your little bum up and go! 15 minutes of cardio or light weights is better than doing nothing!
- Lastly, it’s not about how long it takes, how slow you move, it’s about getting up and doing it. Remember, moving slowly is better than not moving at all.
Thank you the everyone in the Sleekgeek community for the love and support.
We are a unit and we are here for each other. If you want to know anything just ask. There is no such thing a stupid question. We are here to help lift each other up and change everyone’s life day by day!