Here’s a quick Q&A with Elmarie Spangenburg, our 3rd place winner in the women’s transformation category of the latest 8-week Ultimate You Challenge.
- Give us a short history of your journey to health and fitness before the challenge.
I have been struggling with my weight my entire life. When I was in high school, I did lose a lot of weight, but not by leading a balanced lifestyle. When I went to university, I gained approximately 30kgs over a span of 3 years! This gave me a huge knock in my self confidence. I tried quick fixes but then I would just gain the weight I lost again plus a few kilos extra.
- What prompted you to join the ULTIMATE YOU Transformation Challenge?
When I heard about Sleekgeek and their mission from a friend who was already taking part in one of the heats, I decided this was the perfect opportunity (Thanks Hanna Smit!).
- Give us a quick overview of the nutrition and eating plan that you followed during the challenge.
I started watching my calorie intake and, via an app on my phone, made sure it stayed between 1000 and 1500 calories per day. I stayed away from carbs, but did have the occasional slice of low GI bread or butternut.
- Give us a quick overview of the training and exercise plan that you followed during the challenge.
My exercise regime was really tough. I exercised 5 or 6 times a week, keeping a good balance between cardio and resistance training. I was always under the impression that cardio makes you lose weight faster, but the results I obtained with the resistance training was amazing. I was constantly challenging myself to do more.
- If you could give 3 pieces of advice to future challengers, what would they be?
- What did you find most valuable about your experience?