Welcome to Day 28 of Sleekgeek’s free 30-Day You Healthy Habits Challenge!
Each day for the next 30 days you will receive 1 task to complete in order to help you eat, move, think, or sleep better.
Today’s task is to not snooze for the next 3 days:
Most people are snoozers and you probably had a sinking feeling in your stomach when you read today’s task, didn’t you? Unfortunately, snoozing is not all that great a habit to have and the irony is that it has the opposite effect to what you might want. The more we snooze, the more tired we feel.
But how can something that feels so good be so bad? Trust us, snoozing is an energy thief and will leave you with the absolute wrong start to the day affecting your energy, giving you a false start and leaving you drained. Who needs that? The next step is to reach for the coffee to feel mildly human again. A vicious cycle you do not want to create.
Now it is time for you to get a taste of that. There is good science to back this up.
While you might think that hitting snooze will give you a chance to finish your natural sleep cycle and wake up feeling rested, that’s not what happens. After you hit snooze and drift off, your brain starts its sleep cycle all over again. When the alarm goes off a second time, you’re likely at an even deeper, earlier part of your sleep cycle, which results in you feeling even worse than you did the first time.
Your body prepares for waking up about 2 hrs before you wake and then you snooze you are throwing out a false alarm and then when waking up again catch yourself by surprise when you are not prepared. Can you see how this is not cool?
How to complete today’s task:
Simple. Get out of bed immediately! Do that for the next 3 days at least.
Here are a few tips to help you:
- Place your alarm clock somewhere that you have to get out of bed to switch it off and do not get back into bed no matter how much you have the urge.
- When your alarm goes off jump out of bed with a big smile and yell “It’s a beautiful new day!” (insert a victory dance if you like.)
- When you go to sleep the night before remind yourself of your intentions and visualise it.
We are pretty certain you are going to love it so much that you will never want to snooze again.
See you tomorrow for your Day 29’s task.
If you have just stumbled on this page sign up for Sleekgeek’s full 30-Day Healthy Habits Challenge right here. It is 100% free.
WANT MORE OF THIS KIND OF THING?
- Read our blog post on 10 Reasons Why Sleep is so Important and 5 Tips to Improve Yours.
- Read our blog post on Why Sleep is So Important and How to Get More of it [Infographic].