Welcome to Day 26 of Sleekgeek’s free 30-Day You Healthy Habits Challenge!
Each day for the next 30 days you will receive 1 task to complete in order to help you eat, move, think, or sleep better.
Today’s task is to plank as long as you can:
Didn’t think you could get away without some good old planking did you?!
Sorry! The plank is a fundamental bodyweight exercise that builds isometric core strength and is great for working your shoulders, arms, and glutes as well.
Take a few tries and see what you record for the day is!
How to do today’s task:
- Plant the hands directly under the shoulders (slightly wider than shoulder-width apart) like you’re about to do a push-up.
- Ground the toes into the floor and squeeze the glutes to stabilize the body. Your legs should be working in the move too; careful not to lock or hyperextend your knees.
- Neutralize the neck and spine by looking at a spot on the floor about a foot beyond the hands. Your head should be in line with your back.
- Hold the position for 20 seconds. As you get more comfortable with the move, hold your plank for as long as possible without compromising form or breath.
If you cannot visualise it then watch this handy instructional video
If you need something easier:
- Rest your knees on the ground, making sure to keep your back straight and squeeze both your ab and glute muscles.
If you need something harder:
- Plank with your forearms flat on the floor (as opposed to a push-up position).
- And/or raise 1 leg.
Let us know on social media what your score is so we can crown our planking king and queen!
See you tomorrow for your Day 27’s task.
If you have just stumbled on this page sign up for Sleekgeek’s full 30-Day Healthy Habits Challenge right here. It is 100% free.
WANT MORE OF THIS KIND OF THING?
- Read our blog post on 8 Steps to Un-Process your Fitness and Get Moving Today.
- Join our 30-Day Step Challenge (lots of walking).
- Join our 30-Day Move More Challenge (some walking, lots of bodyweight exercises).