🎯 Today’s Mission:
To successfully complete today’s mission:
- ✅ Challenge yourself to eat no snacks today, only well-rounded meals. If you get hungry, wait until you are at least a 7/10 on the hunger scale and then eat a proper meal.
- ✅ Notice and Name. Take note of when you start feeling “snacking” and see if you can identify what your triggers are. Are you bored? Are you stressed? Are you just following habit/routine and this is when you normally snack, regardless of hunger?
- ✅ If you have a medical condition and have been advised by a health professional to snack regularly or eat frequently then follow their recommendations first and foremost. As an alternative challenge, go back to Day 7 and focus on Why You’re Eating instead.
- ✅ [OPTIONAL] Share with us, in the Sleekgeek Nutrition Challenge Support Group, what your experience with no snacking is like. Are you surprised at how easy it is to say no to a snack today? Or are you finding it much more difficult than you thought?
- ✅ Complete the form at the bottom of the page when done.
💡 More Info:
Even if you’re eating the right foods in the right combinations in the right amounts… You still need to know when to eat them.
Playing The Hunger Game on Day 17 will have helped you get more in tune with your hunger and fullness cues.
Now, we’re going to challenge you a bit further.
Life’s a Snack:
Most of us are used to having breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.
Today we’re going to shake things up a bit and take those snacks away.
This is to help you differentiate between actual hunger and habitual eating.
Very rarely do we experience actual hunger – it’s because we’re usually armed with snacks to keep that feeling at bay.
Don’t get us wrong, we don’t have anything against snacking. We just want you to be more mindful about your food habits – and the easiest way to do that is to take out the snacks.
This way you will see that usually you’re eating out of habit rather than hunger.
Rate Your Hunger:
If you didn’t quite get the “rate your hunger” exercise from Day17, here it is again in a bit more depth.
1) Imagine a physical hunger scale from 1 to 10.
- 1 is no hunger.
- 10 is the hungriest you’ve ever been, like “My vision is going black and I would eat raw tree bark right now” kind of hunger.
2) Before each meal, pause.
- Ask yourself: Am I physically hungry?
- Do I NEED to eat?
- Or am I just eating because I WANT to (desire / craving) or feel like I SHOULD (habit)?
3) Rank your physical hunger on a scale from 1 to 10.
- If you’re somewhere around a 7 or higher, go ahead and eat.
- If you’re not there yet, wait a little longer.
Remember that physical hunger comes in waves. So if you feel a wave of hunger, wait for a few minutes and see what happens. It might be a blip.
Bonus points if you can stop at 80% full:
4) Eat slowly, and pause after each bite.
- Check in. Notice your body signals. How would you rank your hunger now?
- If you’re somewhere around a 2 to 3 or lower (which is more or less 80% full), stop. You’re done. Pause. Again, notice what this stopping point feels like. Or what thoughts come up (e.g. “Oh no! I’m wasting food!”).
- If you’re not yet down to a 2 to 3, take another bite. Repeat until you get to something that seems like 80% full. Then stop.
Again, this doesn’t have to be precise. You’re just getting the hang of where this stopping point occurs.
✅ Mission Accomplished?
Fill in the form below once you’re done to keep track of your progress.