Welcome to the Sleekgeek 10-Day Meditation Challenge!
We’re taking on the challenge here at Sleekgeek of making meditation and mindfulness easy to do.
We want to make it something that real, everyday people like you and I can benefit from. Such as a small do-able daily practice to help you find contentment, greater clarity, and improved feelings of well-being and happiness.
Our challenge to you is to meditate for between 3 and 10 minutes per day 10-minutes a day for 10 days in a row.
Don’t worry, we will help you every step of the way! Read on 🙂
What is meditation?
According to Wikipedia, “Meditation can be defined as a practice where an individual uses a technique, such as focusing their mind on a particular object, thought or activity, to achieve a mentally clear and emotionally calm state.”
Although meditation has been practiced since antiquity in a more religious or spiritual context, it has since become much more mainstream and modernised in order to combat the stress of modern life.
Companies like Apple, Airbnb, AOL, Google, Goldman Sachs, HBO, Intel, Linkedin, Nike, Procter & Gamble, Twitter, and Yahoo! all have in-house meditation and mindfulness practices for their employees to benefit from.
In fact, Google’s Head of Mindfulness (Chade-Meng Tan) explains his optimism for modern meditation by saying that, “it’s become scientific, it has been demystified. It’s going to be seen as fitness for the mind.”
The research on meditation and mindfulness is extensive.
Some of the well documented and scientifically proven benefits include:
- less stress, better sleep, happier and healthier relationships, better anxiety management, sharper concentration, better emotional regulation, enhanced self-awareness, lengthened attention span, better memory and recall, reduced blood pressure, as well as usefulness in helping to fight addictions and manage pain.
It’s clear that if we could package the benefits of what meditation provides into a pill or supplement, EVERYONE would want it!
It’s a good thing that you can get started with just a few minutes per day without any specialised equipment 🙂
Meditation for real, everyday people
There are many different methods of meditation out there, although they can usually be categorised as either:
- Calming Meditation where you concentrate on a particular object, such as your breath, a mantra, a visualisation, a physical object, or even physical sensations within your body. Benefits include a quieter, more peaceful state of mind, and improved concentration.
- Insight Meditation where you focus on gaining insight into “the true nature of reality” by focusing on impermanence, suffering or unsatisfactoriness, and the realisation of non-self. Benefits include transforming your mind by developing qualities such as wisdom and compassion.
At Sleekgeek, we follow along with the Headspace methodology of combining techniques from both calming and insight meditation in a non-religious and non-spiritual way.
We won’t ask you to chant mantras, burn incense, or even sit cross-legged…
Instead, we see meditation more like exercise for the mind that can be used in conjunction with physical exercise and good nutrition to create a healthy well-balanced lifestyle.
To us, meditation is not something limited to those who are “enlightened” – it’s something that can and should be used by kids, teachers, CEOs, athletes, moms, dads, and every other super busy and super stressed kind of person out there.
The Sleekgeek 10-Day Meditation Challenge
Our challenge to you is to meditate for between 3 and 10 minutes per day for 10 days in a row.
That’s do-able, right?
Keep in mind that the challenge is not in the daily practice but in practicing daily.
Cool! All you need to do is:
- Complete the pledge / sign up below.
- Join the Sleekgeek Meditation Facebook Group.
The app has a free 10-day trial, so you aren’t going to need to pay a cent to take part in this challenge!
Don’t worry, we will explain EVERYTHING once you have signed up – you will be guided every single step of the way.
If you do not want to use an app that is 100% ok. We will show you 2 other techniques to meditate.
If you have already used the Headspace app they will allow you to repeat the 10 day trial for free.