A delicious healthy recipe commissioned from Sleekgeek Community Member Superstar Melissa Thomas.
- Recommended for: Dinner.
- Serves: 4 Women’s portions or 2 Men’s portion (see full portion control guide here).
- 650g beef mince
- 1 large aubergine (approx 20cm in length), sliced into rounds
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- Smart Carb
- 2 potatoes, sliced
- Healthy Fat
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Herbs, spices, Extras
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp salt (for salting, not cooking)
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp water
- First off, slice the aubergine into rounds, each about ½ cm thick. Lay them flat on a chopping board, and salt generously using the 4 tbsp of salt.
- Allow to stand for 20-30 minutes, until you notice moisture on the aubergine (as pictured). Pat each round dry with kitchen towel, and set aside.
- Slice the potatoes into rounds, as thinly as possible, around 2mm thick. Add these to a bowl of water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease an ovenproof dish with a 1 tbsp of olive oil and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a pan over medium heat, and add the mince. Allow the mince to fry and brown, then add ½ tin of the chopped tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper and cinnamon (if using), and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the ingredients as follows into a greased oven dish: layer the potato slices at the bottom of the dish so that the bottom is covered. Next, scoop half the mince mixture over the potatoes. Now layer half the aubergine slices on top of the mince, followed by the remainder of the mince and then another layer of aubergine on top. Top with the remaining chopped tomatoes. Add 3-4 tbsp water into the dish.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 180°C and bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Serve with a side salad, or on a bed of lettuce.
See the FULL Sleekgeek Nutrition Guide here (it’s free).
Join the VIP Wait List - don't miss out!
We're taking on a fresh wave of clients for the Sleekgeek Coaching Program on the 26th of July 2019.
If you’re tired of the exhausting “all-or-nothing” dieting approach, then listen up!
We want to teach you proven sustainable strategies to help you build healthy habits into your life, one day at a time, so that they last a lifetime!
NOTE: Spots are limited and enrollment will only re-open again in October!