Melissa has been an avid community member of Sleekgeek and a huge contributor to our 30-Day REBOOT support group. For those that don’t know, the REBOOT is a short and focused 30-day nutrition challenge designed to re-orientate you towards healthier eating habits and better overall health. Melissa runs a blog called Living Spot where she writes about a variety of topics such as cooking, eating, experimenting, parenting, and a bunch of other topics. She is currently on her REBOOT V5 (version 5, as in this is the 5th 30-day REBOOT challenge she is now completing) and loves sharing she wisdom and strategies that makes her so successful. Today she is sharing with us a guest post on Getting Prepped for Success. Over to her:
A mistake I made on my first couple of REBOOTs was that I didn’t always take the time to thoroughly prepare for the week ahead. I just thought that it’s a big hassle and I’d continue as I’d always done – which always led to a last minute ‘what do I cook today’ frenzy. So for Version 4, I decided to bite the bullet and allocate a couple of hours on a Sunday to get as much done as I could. I firmly believe that this has allowed me to achieve the results I have. I was able to steer away from poor food choices because the healthier option was prepped and ready to go just as easily as the bad option. Prepping took the difficulty out of making the right choice.
[You can view Melissa’s example of a typical grocery list in her original post]
So once you’ve done your shopping and your kitchen counter looks like this:
It’s time for the fun part – preptastic!
If you have a food processor, this will be a breeze. However, it can be done by hand (or a handheld mixer), it’ll just take a bit longer.
The first thing I do is to make sure I’ve eaten something! You need your stamina through this!!
- I marinade whatever meat/chicken that I want to, and get that going, and place into freezer bags, in portions.
- I also stick some chicken pieces/breasts in the oven so that I have some ready for quick lunches (or breakfast… Or dinner…).
- You want homemade stock? Get that on the go now too.
- Making your own coconut milk? Start soaking the coconut now.
- Time to make sure you’ve got your containers or freezer/food storage bags ready (labels help too). Time to get stuck in the veg.
- Wash, clean, and cut your veggies. Pack into portions.
- Grate some of the cauliflower so you have cauli-rice ready to be steamed.
- Grate the courgette so your zoodles are ready to be steamed.
- Chop/slice mushrooms so that all you need to do is chuck them into your pot/pan when needed.
- If you have cabbage, get that chopped up too.
- You can make and freeze some cauli roti/wraps/pizza bases now too.
- Make some sauces: paleo mayo, homemade easy ketchup etc.
You’re now pretty much prepped for the week ahead. Cool the hot food once cooked, store in portions, and either refrigerate or freeze. Complete the process for the coconut milk, if making, and refrigerate.
Now your kitchen counter looks like this:
For support during your Reboot, join the Facebook group here: Sleekgeek Reboot Support
Want to be a guest post contributor? Get in touch! Email Dom on email@example.com