Regardless of what diet or nutritional approach you take, one truth that we know is that everyone can benefit from eating more real food that is high-quality, nutrient-dense, and unprocessed.
To help you build a foundation of good health, we have completely re-defined what superfoods are and then created a list of our top 25 that you can easily and immediately start adding into your diet.
RE-DEFINING SUPERFOODS FOR AN OPTIMAL SLEEKGEEK LIFESTYLE:
When most people hear the word superfoods they immediately think of things like Goji Berries, Maca Powder, Cacao, or some other exotic and novel product.
While they may be rich in some sort of vitamin or antioxidant, there are a few problems:
- They tend to be more hyped-up marketing messages than truths.
- You would need to consume huge quantities to gain much benefit.
- They are hard to include consistently in one’s day-to-day diet.
- They are expensive.
We just feel that relying on a dubious food product with unregulated health claims that costs a lot of money to gain minimal benefit is not a smart choice.
Now we aren’t saying don’t ever eat these more traditional superfoods (especially if you like them), but rather consider them more as a supplement to your diet and join us in re-defining what superfoods should really be.
SUPERFOODS IN THE SLEEKGEEK LIFESTYLE SHOULD (MOSTLY) BE:
- Commonly found
- Minimally processed
- Easily included in one’s diet
They are foods that you can build your daily diet around to create a solid, fool-proof foundation of health.
The great thing is that you can print out this list below and create an effortless healthy shopping list to take with you to the shops, or a quick-reference guide to stick on your fridge.
Need to make a quick meal? Choose a protein from the list, select a decent amount of vegetables, add some healthy fats, and maybe a drink. BOOM! Meal done!
For example, it might look like some leftover steak from the night before, a handful of tomatoes, a sliced up green pepper, and half an avocado.
Oh, you’ve completed a workout today and “earned your carbs?” Fantastic! In that case maybe add in some starchy carbs like a sweet potato with a bit of butter or 1/4 cup of oats cooked with cinnamon and blueberries!
Our philosophy has lead to this list of 25 superfoods below.
1. Lean red meat (only eat fatty cuts if it is grass-fed and from a high-quality source)
2. Poultry (free-range and/or grass-fed from a high-quality source)
3. Oily fish (salmon, trout, sardines, wild-caught if possible)
4. Eggs (especially the yolks, omega-3 and free-range / cage-free preferred)
5. Full-fat dairy (plain yogurt, cottage cheese, and butter from grass-fed cows)
6. Protein supplements (preferably whey, unflavoured, high-quality, minimal ingredients, only used when whole food is unavailable)
VEGETABLE AND FRUIT SUPERFOODS:
7. Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, radish, etc)
STARCHY CARBOHYDRATE SUPERFOODS:
HEALTHY FAT SUPERFOODS:
23. Coffee (in strict moderation – real coffee – not instant, preferably organic)
24. Teas (Green tea and Rooibos)
25. Greens supplement (such as Vibrant Health’s Green Vibrance or Real Thing’s Green Powder)
These 25 superfoods are particularly rich in high-quality nutrients that your body needs in order to thrive. An added bonus is that many of them are also high in fibre and very low in sugar.
Eat more of these superfoods on a daily basis and you will:
- Naturally eat less junk food because you are substituting them out.
- Stay satiated for longer with a higher level of satisfaction and fullness after meals.
- Crave less sugary and unhealthy foods as the less of them you eat, the less of them you want.
- Overeat much less frequently (if ever), which means less weight gain and easier weight loss.
- Have a higher overall micronutrient intake with less chance for deficiency.
This is not a be-all and end-all list.
There are PLENTY of other healthy foods out there and some may arguably be even healthier. This is just to get you started confidently in the right direction.
You do not have to include all of these foods in your diet.
… Although you should try fit as many in as reasonably possible.
If you are already following a specific diet like Banting or Paleo then that is fine, scrap the starchy carbs superfoods and whatever else doesn’t fit.
If you are vegetarian then leave out the meat, stock up on legumes, and consider eggs and maybe even fish.
If you are allergic, intolerant, or simply really (and we mean REALLY) don’t like any of these superfoods then make up for it by focusing on which of them you can eat.
These are also not the only foods can eat to be healthy.
Don’t think this is another “only eat this and nothing else” diet. Build a solid foundation of nutrition using these foods and then round out the rest of your nutrition with other foods that you like or think are healthy.
Make a commitment.
We highly recommend that you make a commitment to yourself that you will do your best to focus on adding more of these superfoods into your diet for 2 weeks. If you are someone who is desperately looking to improve your health then this is your chance. It isn’t a restrictive diet, it isn’t complicated, we aren’t making your life miserable. We just want you to eat more good food.
Once you have your foundation of good nutrition, consider trying to reduce your added sugar intake as much as possible from things like junk food, sodas, and alcoholic drinks. A great way to do this is with our 30 Day Sugar-Free Challenge where you receive 30 days of motivating email communications from us to help you through this process while interacting with others in our community through our dedicated Sugar-Free Facebook support group.
From there you can play with portion sizes and calorie control if you want to take your rate of fat loss or muscle gain to the next level.
Or you are eager to take your nutrition 1 step further without committing to any specific diet or guideline then read about the 9 Things That Effective Healthy Diets Have in Common. This will show you how to build your own successful and uncomplicated nutrition plan around the top tried and tested elements of any great diet.
Enrollment opens March 1st - don't miss out!
Get on the Sleekgeek Coaching VIP Wait List today!
If you’re tired of the exhausting “all-or-nothing” dieting approach, then listen up!
We want to teach you proven sustainable strategies to help you build healthy habits into your life, one day at a time, so that they last a lifetime!
NOTE: Spots are limited and we only open enrollment 3 times per year.
If you put your name on the (free) Vip Wait List now, you will guarantee your spot plus save 25% off the general price when enrollment opens on the 1st of March!