We asked Seone Maskell to send us an update about Tyra’s progress, this is what she had to say:
We have made it to 7 months, and boy never in my wildest dreams did I think we would make it this far! Not that I didn’t have faith in my little lady but I felt the support structure would be lacking on the home front, after all we tried getting “healthy” before and my family members basically insinuated that I was being cruel and she would be given loads of “junk food” as soon as my back was turned.
Perhaps being a little older she is now able to make informative decisions for herself but I think it is imperative that as parents you continuously educate your little ones on why certain food groups are healthy choices and why others are not. It is HUGELY important for parents to stay focused and motivated in keeping the child’s journey going and also not to get complacent when it appears as those the goal has been reached! It’s also essential to be a good role model for your child because after all: “monkey see, monkey do” your children watch everything you do… For me, knowing I’m my child’s inspiration is one of the greatest motivators for me to stay on track.
Being your little ones biggest fan and cheerleader is really important… always lift them up even when they may have fallen… in Tyra`s journey I have not allowed her to feel like a failure if she eats something unhealthy or if she puts on a little weight… In fact, I don’t let her see the numbers! I praise her continuously.
When we started out on her journey our BIG GOAL was to get under 50kgs and I’m so proud to say that we have! In fact we are now 19.5kgs down in total… I actually cannot put into words how relieved I am because for the longest time I feared that her little heart would give up and I feel really bad that I hadn’t tried harder before.
Here’s what we have achieved so far:
- Being able to button both buttons on the back of her school dress.
- Being able to pick herself up without her hands.
- To wear button-up shorts.
- And then jeans
- Mom can pick me up.
- Enjoying exercise and wanting to do more and more.
- Being able to wear funky fashionable clothes.
- Learning to love water.
Even bigger milestones
- Being featured on Sleek Geek and being called an inspiration!
- 3 beautiful SLEEKGIRLS ladies thinking about her .
- Been given a voucher by Reebok and Sleek Geek.
- Playing in her first Netball match
- Making friends (kids actually wanting to play with her)
- Being able to run
- Being told by the sporting coach at her school that she was so proud of what Tyra has accomplished and how well she is doing in sports.
- SHE NO LONGER NEEDS TO SEE HER SHRINK.. her doctor called to tell me that she was totally blown away with Tyra`s total transformation in her character!!!
- WE ARE UNDER 50KGS
- WE HAVE LOST 19.5KGS
- She is loving life and thinks that she looks cute.
- Thanking mom for making her do what she did to get healthy.