We all need to laugh more. Our health depends on it.
‘Laughter is the best medicine’
Life is tough and stressful but come on Sleeks… what is the worst that can happen? We have to learn to enjoy the ride and see the lighter side. Else what is the point?
You can search the internet for the benefits of laughing and the themes that keep coming up as a result of laughter and smiling are:
- Boosts the immune system
- Improves blood flow, suppresses stress hormones and gives you a burst of energy
- It can even manage pain
- Said to affect blood sugar levels
- Helps you cope with difficult situations
- Promotes positive happy feelings
- Makes you more attractive to other people
I am sure you can think of many more benefits. Whether scientific or not there is no denying that when you laugh you feel great.
I mean, you try laugh and be angry at the same time – not possible! I think if everyone listened to Bob Marley in the car there would also be a lot less road rage.
Check out these links if you want more reasons.
So it is time for all of us to lighten up and take everything a little less seriously. Life, yourself, your journey – don’t take it so seriously! Your crisis might not seem half as bad if you can shift your attitude and find the humour in the things that frustrate you the most.
It occurred to me last night. I had gotten home from dinner at the Dutch Embassy. They had invited me as a change-maker in SA society (very kind) and I was SO SO happy that I remembered to switch my electric blanket on. I jumped into bed and was beaming, laughing and smiling with glee. I giggled like a kid. Such a simple yet powerful and positive moment. We need to all learn to find joy in the small things.
Create more positive moments through your day.
Appreciate small things.
Our lives are filled with negative news in the press, work crisis, family crisis, financial stresses and the issues we have about our health and bodies.
It is critical that you can find an outlet to create humour, smiles and happiness in your life!
Some ideas on what you can do:
- Watch a funny movie or a play at the theatre or funny clips on Youtube
- Visit funny websites like 9gag.com and buzzfeed.com rather than your normal breaking news channels filled with crime and corruption. Ignorance can be bliss 😉
- Hang out with funny, smiley, positive people (like our Sleeks! Check out our Sleekgeek Saturday!) rather than the negative people who drain and sap your energy
- Play childish games with your partner, other adults, your kids.
- Play a practical joke on someone
- Laugh at yourself
- Stop taking other people so personally and seriously
Guys, stuff happens… Life can be a wild, stressful rollercoaster but remember that you are in control – and laughing once in a while will help you dominate your daily situation.
Watch this spontaneous clip we made yesterday at SG HQ of me trying to put my shoes on after a serious legs training session! It was hilarious 🙂
On our health journey we can also take ourselves and our bodies too seriously and stress way too much about failure, about thinking we are doing wrong, about not getting results, about comparing ourselves to others. My advice is to take everything in our stride, be more tolerant and LAUGH MORE!
Ps – Sign up for my weekly newsletter at here.