Hi I’m Ilse,
Here’s my story!
My weight during my life and how my lifestyle was:
Ever since I can remember I was the overweight child/teenager/ student. I was always the little chubby kid, the one that was made fun of and was called names. I think the main reason is because I am a real Afrikaner girl and grew up in a household that loved the old “boere” way of preparing meals which is usually “vleis, rys en aartappels.”
I grew up loving food. But it became a problem when I turned to food for comfort because I was so emotionally destroyed from being teased and made fun of. If someone said something bad about me a chocolate would be the medicine to cure my heart break. People do not know how much damage they can cause by a few words. Pizza was my friend! And bread! Vetkoek! I used these to cope and make myself feel better, but it obviously wasn’t a healthy way of dealing with things.
And it was not that I wasn’t an active girl! I played Netball and Softball. I jogged and exercised every day but just could not drop the weight.
The moment in life where I noticed that I need a change:
The moment when I realised I needed to change was in April 2011. I was a bridesmaid and when I looked at the photos all I could think was that I looked like an elephant in the pictures. Then I thought I might not care what others think of me, but what do I myself think of what I am doing to myself and how I see myself in those photos and the mirror!
So after the terrible photos in 2011 and low self esteem the next day I joined Curves. Starting weight was a whopping 114.5kg. So I started to do the gym thing 5 days a week and only 30 minutes. I changed my eating habits and I dropped to 106kg by December 2011. And then – whoops – I fell off the wagon again. 2012 was spent yo-yo dieting and not thinking of what I did to myself and I was back up to 113kg by December 2012.
Then the bad luck hit me bad. April 2013 my father passed away at the age of 50. I had never in my life felt so emotionally destroyed. The only thing I could think about at that stage was others and not myself. In December 2013 I was able to drop until 109kg’s due to not eating and a loss of appetite. But something else happened. I got diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and realised I need to start taking better care of myself. In January 2014 I went to a dietician because I do not believe in pills and wanted to become healthy with food!!
I learned a lot from the dietician and could not believe what change a healthy diet can make to ones exercising capabilities and energy levels if you start eating the right foods in order to fuel your body. My weight loss was gradual as at first we were just “fixing” the system. I was able to drop from 109kg to 104kg in 4 weeks, but was still eating processed food.
In February 2014 my friend introduced me to Sleek Geek and I started Reboot. Reading the other peoples stories and the Paleo way of living. And just started to change my lifestyle and whoop! Another 5kgs down in 3 weeks. And I was hooked!! I started making small goals!!! I ran my first 5km park run in 31 minutes! And in Pretoria it is at the Voortrekker Monument with a hell of a hill. I was so proud!
My current lifestyle:
Today I am 24 and one of the healthiest people my family and friends knows! Our fridge looks like a fresh produce market and I’m loving it! I eat strictly Paleo and exercise a lot. I gym at Virgin Active 6 days a week and combine cardio and weight training for the best results. I do not have a personal trainer but try and get as much knowledge and advice from experts and the community on Sleekgeek. Communication and knowledge is a vital key to success! Not just communicating with others but with yourself as well! Look in the mirror every morning and tell yourself you are beautiful and you rock!!! It works – believe me!
I get myself involved in running competitions and park runs. Try to better my time. The feeling of success just keeps me going.
Those people saying they do not have time… I have my gym session scheduled in my planner! You make time if you want it badly enough.
I have lost a total of 28kg’s of which 21.5kg is from January 2014 until May 2014! I still have a long way to go but I know I will get there.
Things that I have learned in my weight loss journey:
- Change your way of thinking! Do not think I live to eat… change it to I eat to live.
- Get over the idea of fast weight loss! Change comes to those who work hard and is patient. Get off your behind and work for what you want!
- Set small goals for example mine is:
- Try and lose 1kg every week
- 1 September 2014 – purchase my first mini skirt and wearing it with pride!
- Surround yourself with people with the same goals and mind set – Sleekgeek is the PERFECT place for this!
- Wake up every morning and think one positive thought.
- It is not a diet! It’s your lifestyle!
- Reward yourself with something that aids in weight loss and not in food. New running shoes or a weekend away where you can get active.
- Concentrate on centimetres lost and not weight loss! You can gain muscle and you only see it in centimetre change.
- Get a gym buddy! If you are not in the mood that person will get you there. The thought that someone is waiting for you will get you there.
- Listen to your body. You are what you eat!
How do I stay motivated (the question that everybody asks)
- I do not think of the big picture! Small steps big changes!
- The fact that I am inspiring so many other people keeps me motivated because I do not want to let other people down.
- The feeling of being a success drives me!
- Sleekgeek posts and the friends I’ve made through being part of the community!
- The feeling that the people in the gym are noticing change. Strangers coming up to me and saying you are strong and you look great! That is what makes me hungry for more!
- I do not worry if I fall off the wagon. Forget about what happened in the past. The past is the past. Every morning is a new chance to make a new and better version of the best you!!
- Lastly! I keep smiling! A smile just brightens up the day! And for some weird reason a smile makes me feel better.
Thank you for letting me share my story – see you guys on the group!!
SUBMIT YOUR STORY AND WIN R500 Wellness Warehouse Voucher
Ilse wins a R500 voucher courtesy of our sponsor for the “YOU CAN live life well” series Wellness Warehouse to be spent on their online store with free delivery nationally.
I believe very strongly that ordinary every day people like you and I derive great inspiration from the achievements of people who seem similar to us. If they can do it.. damn.. so can I! Right?
So through this program we will continue to tell people’s personal stories.
I want to great an archive of hundreds of stories of people who have changed their lives while others believe they cannot.
Submit your story to email@example.com with the Subject line “You can live life well”
- Your story in your own words covering at least (How you got to a point of change, how you made the change, tips and advise for others)
- A selection of before and after photos
- As many words as you need to tell your story
In advance, we regret that not all stories may be published. Your story is as important as anyone’s story but we can only publish one a week and the editor will make decision on this.
If your story is published you will receive a R500 voucher to the Wellness Warehouse online store with free national delivery.