A while ago I crafted my “Perfect Day”. It gave me clarity of direction and changed my life path forever.
I wanted to share that with powerful process with you today.
I am going to encourage you to be brave and write your Perfect Day too.
On this journey to health people get so caught up in weight loss and eating and training and forget that a vital pillar of health is your emotional state, your mindset and your personal reality as a human being in this world.
We live in our head more consciously then our bodies.
I personally believe no matter what the physique looks like, no matter what the medical reports say a person is never truly healthy if they are not happy.
A great way to be unhappy is to be trapped in a life you do not love or want to live.
I see people all around me stuck in jobs. Stuck in relationships. Stuck in their bodies. Just stuck.
Is this you?
My strongest belief in life is that we only get one life and we all need to do whatever is in our power to make it an awesome one. Each of us has that power. Do yourself a favour and embrace it.
I was fortunate enough to have stumbled on a life change tool and all you need is a piece of paper, a pen and your most honest thoughts. It costs nothing.
I first discovered it on Chris Guillebeau’s website (Check this guy out. He is awesome)
But it was only later, when I had the headspace, that I actually did the exercise for the first time while on holiday in Thailand in December 2012.
Writing my Perfect Day
I sat down with my Che Guevara notebook at a beach side Café in Koi Samui Thailand on the 24th of December 2012. It was a little overcast but humid. There I sat and penned my Perfect Day.
And so my life changed.
At that stage, it had only been 4 months since I left my corporate career and at that stage still believed that if Sleekgeek did not work out I would go back to my old life. After doing this exercise I KNEW with certainty if I ever did that I would be resigning myself to a life I no longer wanted. There were many other profound realisations.
I am going to warn you that though this exercise seems pretty harmless it is extremely powerful and could change the path of your life forever.
It could even force or compel you to change things at a short-term cost to you and your loved ones.
Are you ready?
Very simply do the following when you have some time to yourself and are in a comfortable setting and relaxed.
– Take a piece of blank paper, notebook which ever suits you but have enough paper on hand
– Get a pen or a pencil (no digital devices)
– Now free-write for 20-30 minutes your perfect day from when you wake up in the morning until you go to bed at night
– Do it in as much vivid detail as possible
– Be 100% honest. Nobody else ever has to read this.
It is important that you do not overthink or overanalyse. Write down whatever comes to mind no matter how corny or ridiculous it may sound. Just let it be a stream of conscious flow.
I came across a useful post by discussing how to construct a Perfect Day and here are some great suggestions on thoughts questions you can use as prompts.
These are merely suggestions to get your creativity going.
- Where are you living?
- What does your home look like?
- What time in the morning are you waking up?
- Who is lying next to you?
- What are you eating for breakfast?
- How do you spend your morning?
- Do you work out? What kind of sports or hobbies do you enjoy doing?
- Do you have children? How old are they? What do they look like?
- What kind of food do you like to eat for lunch? Who is sitting at the table with you?
- What kinds of people do you call your friends?
- What kind of conversations do you have with them?
- What kind of work do you do? How successful is your business?
- What time do you start work?
- How many hours do you work each day or week?
- Do you sell products or services – or both? What does this look like?
- What are your clients like? How much are they paying you?
- What’s your relationship like with your partner or spouse and your family?
- How do you spend family time together?
- What do you eat for dinner? Where do you have dinner?
- What do you talk about at dinner? Who else is there?
- What kind of clothes are you wearing?
- How do you spend your evening?
- Who do you spend your time with?
- What are your last thoughts before you fall asleep?
When you are done then put it aside. Return to read your Perfect Day and it will likely reveal some profound things about what you want from your life.
I now use my Perfect Day as compass to navigate my life. Every day every decision I make related to any aspect of my life I ask myself if it will take me closer to my Perfect Day or further away from it.
I try not get too caught in the detail but focus on the general message.
So make sure you can see the trends as much as the detail in navigating your way to your Perfect Day.
Also be open to refining your Perfect Day in the future. It is a process.
I also strongly recommend that you set some goals alongside in getting to that day.
The other really important thing is that this is not some dream like vision we hope, wish or prey the universe will drop in our lap.
This is a fight. I fight daily to get one step closer to my Perfect Day, which shines like a beacon on the horizon.
I am still far away from where I want to be but every day I take the actions to inch closer.
Enjoy your journey and be brave.
Have the courage to pursue what you really want in life.
- This post was featured in my recent newsletter. Sign up for my weekly newsletter at www.sleekgeek.co.za/newsletters