30-Day Sleekgeek REBOOT Challenge
The Sleekgeek REBOOT is a short and focused 30-day nutrition challenge designed to re-orientate you towards healthier eating habits and better overall health.
Nutrition can be really confusing and making big life changes is scary. This is why so many people come into the Sleekgeek community looking for help and the right place to start.
What should or shouldn’t they eat? How can they lose 10kgs? What do we think of Herbalife or USN shakes? Low-carb or low-gi carb? What about thyroid, or hormones, or gut health, or calories, or sports performance? Or even just how can they be healthier and more energetic in general?
Our own personal experience and countless testimonials from within our community, combined with the latest scientific research has made it clear that one of the best things that people can do is just get back to the basics of eating real food, that give us the nutrients we need to thrive, are anti-inflammatory, and help us fight off disease.
Therefore, our advice is: Eat food that contributes positively towards your overall health, while at the same time avoiding unhealthy food that can detract from your health.
Our guidelines are based on the popular and effective Paleo Diet. Not necessarily the concept of eating like a caveman, but more just because of the evidence showing the benefits of eating biologically appropriate real food and the detrimental effects of overconsuming highly-refined food-products.
[Green List] EAT this for 30 days:
- Meats (e.g. chicken, pork, beef, lamb, turkey, ostrich, venison, offal)
- Fish and Seafood (e.g. trout, tuna, salmon, hake, kingclip, snoek, shrimp, lobster, mussels, clam, crab)
- Eggs (yes – yolks and all!)
- Vegetables (e.g. spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, cucumber, celery, onions, cabbage, lettuce, baby marrow, beetroot)
- Fruits (e.g. strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apples, bananas, oranges, naartjies, watermelon, cherries, grapes, grapefruit, peaches, pears, lemons, avocado)
- Nuts and Seeds (e.g. almonds, cashews, macadamias, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds – NO peanuts)
- Spices, Herbs, and Salts (e.g. thyme, garlic, vanilla, ginger, sage, oregano, parsley, black pepper, salt, cumin, cinnamon, tumeric)
- Healthful oils for cooking (e.g. coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil)
- Drinks (e.g. Water as a foundation, supplemented if you wish by teas, coffee, freshly juiced vegetables, fruit-infused-water, and coconut water)
- Click to learn more about the Green List.
[Red List] DON’T eat this for 30 days:
- Added Sugar – Real or Artificial (e.g. table sugar, agave, xylitol, honey, coconut sugar, stevia, aspartame, high fructose corn syrup, maple syrup – any sweeteners)
- Industrial Seed / Vegetable Oils (e.g. canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, rapeseed oil, margarine, hydrogenated oils)
- Grains (e.g. wheat, corn, oats, rice, quinoa, rye, barley, millet – yes, this means no breads/pastas/pizza/cereals etc)
- Dairy Products (e.g. milk, cheese, yoghurt, cream)
- Legumes (e.g. chickpeas, soy, lentils, peanuts)
- Processed Drinks (e.g. alcohol, sodas and soft drinks, commercial fruit juices, energy drinks)
- In general, anything that has been highly refined, processed, or artificially made.
- No cheating or deviating from the plan for 30 days – if you do it’s back to day 1!
- Click to learn more about the Red List.
[Orange List] A few EXCEPTIONS and GREY AREAS:
- Starchy vegetables – Consume in moderation, ideally after or to fuel a workout. (e.g. potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut, pumpkin, squash, cassava, yams)
- Certain legumes – Healthy and allowed regardless of botanical classification due to being more pod than bean. (green beans, sugar-snap peas, and snow peas are the ONLY ones allowed)
- Butter and ghee – Allowed regardless of being dairy due to high amounts of beneficial nutrients and the “good guys” in the “war” against margarine. (if you are worried about milk solids / lactose, try clarifying butter into ghee or just don’t consume it at all)
- Dates – Allowed, but VERY high in sugar and should not be abused / eaten frequently / eaten in large quantities. (1 date = 4.5g of sugar. Yes, 1 teaspoon of sugar EACH. 4 dates = 1 doughnut. Useful as a natural sweetener in things like smoothies.)
- Dried fruit – Allowed, but VERY high in sugar and should not be abused / eaten frequently / eaten in large quantities. (1 handful of raisins = 15g or 3 teaspoons of sugar. Useful in homemade trail mixes along with nuts / seeds / coconut while hiking and exercising.)
- Vinegars – Allowed as an exception. A great way to make salads tastier and encourage eating healthy foods. (Has several benefits like lowering blood sugar response to a meal, lowering blood pressure, inhibiting atherosclerosis, being antimicrobial, and good for digestion.)
- Non-Dairy Milks – Allowed, but can be very calorie dense, nutritionally empty, outrageously expensive to buy, and contain many nasty additives. (Use strategically in small quantities to supplement smoothies or make black coffee, etc, more tolerable. Make homemade if possible.)
- Pseudo-Junk Foods and “Healthy Treats” – Strongly discouraged, healthy ingredients can still be eaten in unhealthy amounts, but may provide a psychological relief to some and still better than actual junk food. (Most desire for things like pancakes, brownies, macaroons, cakes, cookies, and so on stem from previous unhealthy eating habits and are part of what has gotten modern society so far away from real food and good health in the first place.)
- Click to learn more about the Orange List.
We have found this to be an uncomplicated, reasonable, gimmick-free approach that anyone can start off with to immediately improve their general nutrition, health, digestion, energy, athletic performance, and weight-loss efforts.
All we ask for is that you give us 30 days to completely transform your life.
After that, you can make your own informed choice about what works well for you and what doesn’t. You can then adapt the guidelines with the help of the Sleekgeek community to fit your unique long-term healthy lifestyle needs and preferences.
With this challenge, we are going to help you improve your nutrition so that you can feel ALIVE and VITAL. That means being full of energy and ready to enjoy life to the fullest, resting assured that you are eating well and that the nutrition aspect of your health is right on track.
This will finally be the key that helps you:
- Get rid of that destructive relationship with food.
- Break free of the control that cravings and sugar crashes have over your lifestyle.
- Let you enjoy eating good food, while leaving you feeling satiated and satisfied.
- Address things such as digestive problems, hormone imbalances, unwanted weight gain, skin issues, allergies, poor insulin sensitivity, and micronutrient deficiencies.
Best of all is that we have a community of thousands of people just like you who are dedicated to supporting each other to succeed. We are all in this together, right from day one.
If this sounds like an interesting and surprisingly sensible approach to improving your health and you want to take the next step:
Learn more about how the Sleekgeek REBOOT works.
Join our Facebook REBOOT support group.
Additional useful tools and resources to help you on your REBOOT.
Ready? Click here to start your REBOOT!
To help you with all the most common problems and challenges.
Finished your REBOOT? We would love to hear your testimonial :)