Here’s a quick Q&A with Christiaan Dicks who came 3rd in the men’s transformation category in the latest 8-week Ultimate You Challenge.
- Give us a short history of your journey to health and fitness before the challenge.
I have been active most of my life playing numerous sports and going to the gym quite often. After I was married I let go a bit and was quite busy at work when I picked up a load of weight. Myself and my wife actually entered a challenge that we won in 2015. After the challenge it was difficult to keep motivated and stick to the diet as there was no assistance post challenge. I had a hernia operation which made it difficult to train and I fell back to my old ways
- What prompted you to join the ULTIMATE YOU Transformation Challenge?
Just couldn’t handle the unhealthy lifestyle anymore. I felt drained and permanently sleepy which affected my days tremendously. Had to change that
- Give us a quick overview of the nutrition and eating plan that you followed during the challenge.
I tried the ketogenic diet which is basically the same as a banting diet. It really worked well for me as I did not have as many cravings as with a low carb diet. I decreased my macros as the weeks progressed to be in a very low calorific deficit in the last 2 weeks.
- Give us a quick overview of the training and exercise plan that you followed during the challenge.
I mostly did HIIT cardio and a high intensity weight training program 6 days a week. Also did a night trail run every Wednesday which also helped a lot with burning those extra calories. I started playing rugby again, which also helped a lot.
- If you could give advice to future challengers, what would they be?
*Be consistent in your training.
*Abs are made in the kitchen, stick to your diet.
- What did you find most valuable about your experience?
The team entries and personal groups were really motivational and the commitment shown from each one was a big drive to keep going and stay focused to not let your team down.